About - Careers - Director, Government Affairs – Senate
Director, Government Affairs – Senate
Come join the global voice of the tech sector as the Director of Government Affairs (Senate).
At the Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) we advocate for public policies that advance innovation, open markets, and enable the transformational economic, societal, and commercial opportunities that our companies are creating. Our members represent the entire spectrum of technology: from internet companies, to hardware and networking equipment manufacturers, to software developers. ITI’s diverse membership and expert staff provide a broad perspective and intelligent insight in confronting the implications and opportunities of policy activities around the world.
As the Director of Government Affairs (Senate) reporting to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs in Washington, D.C., you will serve as one of ITI’s representatives and advocates for the U.S. Congress and relevant U.S. executive branch agencies. You will have chief responsibility for engagement with the U.S. Senate, in particular with members of the Senate Republican Conference. You will partner with the Government Affairs team and ITI member companies in strategizing, planning, and executing a comprehensive government relationship program, which will involve:
- Continuing and expanding relationships at the most senior levels of the legislative branch and relevant executive branch offices;
- Advancing ITI’s policy priorities through appropriate legislation and/or regulatory measures; and
- Supporting ITI and its member companies in the sector’s political engagement.
You will be responsible for:
- Building and supporting the participation, value, and effective functioning of key ITI policy issues areas, preferably a combination of the following: privacy, telecommunications, cybersecurity, emerging technology issues (AI, IoT, IP, quantum), and energy and environment;
- Identifying major policy issues that could affect the membership, and advance positions and strategies to effectively deal with them;
- Developing and enhancing strong working relationships with member companies and their Washington, D.C. government affairs representatives;
- Broadening and deepening relations with Congress, particularly with Senate Republicans, to win support for the industry, establish political connections, and execute on the industry’s specific policy issues;
- Serving as a spokesperson for ITI members and industry leader in building relationships with other organizations, constituencies, and coalitions whose interests coincide with those of ITI;
- Actively participating in ITI member company recruiting activities; and
- Assisting in running ITI’s political program.
- A well-rounded knowledge of the legislative, executive, and regulatory agencies of the U.S. government;
- BA/BS degree in political science, policy, business administration, or in a related field required. MS/MA or JD preferred;
- At least seven to ten years of experience serving as a legislative/policy aide for a Senate personal office and/or committee;
- Strong relationships and understanding of the Senate Republican Conference;
- Strong verbal and written communication, management and strategic planning skills; and
- Substantive ability to master the issues confronting ITI in a relatively short period of time.
- A track record for working well as a member of a team, including cross-team collaboration;
- Emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to prioritize numerous projects;
- The ability to relate effectively with member company executives;
- Sound political judgement; and
- A good sense of humor.
- Excellent health benefits;
- Generous paid time off plus office closure from December 25th through January 1st
- Fitness center;
- A great work environment; and
- Much more!
Are you a good match?
Submit a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, resume, and salary requirements.
ITI is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive workplace. We encourage diversity and do not discriminate based on age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, disability, veteran status or any legally protected characteristics.